Achieve helps me gain confidence in myself, and not just in the classroom. It helps me stay true to who I am. I know that I have people who care about me and will support me along the way, and who will help me get through the rough times. It definitely boosts my confidence and makes me feel like I can conquer anything.
The Nuts and Bolts
Each student participates in three consecutive six-week summer sessions and two academic year programs:
- Summer before seventh grade
- Seventh grade academic year program
- Summer before eighth grade
- Eighth grade academic year program
- Summer before ninth grade
The Achieve summer session takes place five days a week (Monday to Friday) from July through August. Meals (breakfast, lunch, snack) and transportation are provided.
- Students take classes in English, math and science
- Students have one to two hours of homework each night
- Each class is taught by a master teacher and a teaching assistant
- Enrichment activities include dance, arts and crafts, anime, outdoor games, mindfulness and games and more.
- Academic classes take place Monday through Thursday, with field trips on Fridays
Academic Year Session
Our academic year sessions take place twice a month on Saturdays throughout the school year. Students work with volunteer Nobles tutors to complete their school work and do mini lessons in ELA and math. They also participate in fun workshops like wrestling, yoga, dance, community service and coding. During the sessions some 8th grade students also work with volunteer coaches to complete the high school application process to pilot and independent schools.
High School Transition
Students in their final summer at Achieve take a course on the transition to high school. They learn about the importance of self-advocacy, how to take lecture notes and create resumés. All rising ninth grade students also take a high school-level writing course in which they master the most important elements of analytical writing, an essential skill for secondary education and beyond.
Sample Daily Schedule during Summer Session
|7:20-8:15 a.m.||Students on bus|
|8:50-9:05 a.m.||Morning Meeting|
|12:15-12:40 p.m.||Lunch / Free Time|
|12:45-1:30 p.m.||Enrichment Activity|
|2:15-2:50 p.m.||Free Time|
|2:50-3:20 p.m.||Afternoon Meeting / Dismissal|
|3:25-4:10 p.m||Students on Bus|